Do you have a great new project design you can’t wait to share with the world? This is your chance to show it off—and maybe collect some cash! Presenting the 2016 Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts People’s Choice Awards.
New This Year:
- Instead of one big contest, we’ll be running small contests all year, one or two categories at a time. You’ll know the deadlines ahead of time and be able to plan your entries in advance.
- Cash prizes! Winners in each category will receive $50 for first place, $30 for second place, and $20 for third place. Special thanks to our friends at CarveBuddy for sponsoring the prizes for Contest 3 – Ornaments: Painted and Unpainted.
How It Works:
- Submit as many entries as you like during the entry period for the each contest—it’s always free to enter! Then, the staff of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine will choose up to 10 designs in each category.
- The Editors’ Choice Award winners will be posted on our website to compete for the People’s Choice Awards via public voting. Vote for your favorites, and share the contest with your friends so they can vote, too!
- The People’s Choice Award winners will be published in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and announced on the magazine website. We’ll send those cash prizes and a nice certificate for your wall.
- Plus! All entries will be considered for possible paid publication as projects in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts.
Categories and Deadlines
The theme for the contest is Ornaments: Painted or Unpainted. Submit your favorite holiday or special event ornament today. We’re looking for your best ideas. Size, shape, and even material don’t matter, but the majority of the shaping must be done with a scroll saw.
Ornaments not your thing? Start planning your entries for the next contest! (Please help us stay organized by waiting for the entry period for each contest to send your photos.)
|Category||Entry Period||Online Voting||
|Ornaments: Painted & Unpainted||March 16 – June 1, 2016||June 15-30, 2016||Fall/Holiday 2016 issue|
|Functional: Kitchen or Office (items to use in either room)||May 17 – September 1, 2016||September 15-30, 2016||Winter/Spring 2017 issue|
- Please send one high-resolution or professionally printed photo of your entry, along with the following information: Category (Ornaments: Painted or Unpainted), project name/description, size, type of wood and finish, and story/inspiration, if any. Also, include your name, address, and e-mail address. If you do not have e-mail, include a phone number instead. See the Rules for important entry details (visit online, or send an SASE to request a printed copy).
- E-mail your entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject of “SSW Contest #3 – Ornaments 2016.” Or, mail to: SSW Contest #3 – Ornaments 2016, Fox Chapel Publishing, 1970 Broad St., East Petersburg PA 17520. Entries must be received by June 1, 2016.
- All entries must be original designs created by the entrant. They cannot be made from, inspired by, or variations of anyone else’s pattern; they cannot be class projects; no one else can have helped with the project. By entering, you verify that your entry is your own creation.
Special thanks to our friends at CarveBuddy for sponsoring the cash prizes for the contest!